These cards are professionally graded and authenticated to ensure their quality and value. Grading services such as Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA), Beckett Grading Services (BGS), Beckett Collectors Club Grading (BCCG), and Sportscard Guaranty Corporation (SGC) evaluate the condition of the card and assign it a grade, which ranges from 1 to 10.
NBA graded cards are highly sought after by collectors and investors alike. The value of a card can increase significantly depending on its grade. For example, a Michael Jordan rookie card graded PSA 10 sold for over $700,000 in 2020. However, not all cards are created equal, and some may not be worth grading due to their condition or rarity. It’s important to do your research and consult with experts before investing in graded cards.
Understanding NBA Graded Cards
Graded cards are becoming increasingly popular among collectors and investors. In this section, we’ll dive into what NBA graded cards are, and why they’re important.
What Are NBA Graded Cards?
NBA graded cards are trading cards that have been evaluated and graded by a professional grading service. The grading service examines each card and assigns it a grade based on its condition. The grade is usually a number between 1 and 10, with 10 being the highest possible grade.
Grading services like Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) and Beckett Grading Services (BGS) use a set of criteria to determine a card’s grade. These criteria include centering, corners, edges, and surface. The centering refers to how well the image on the card is centered. The corners, edges, and surface refer to the physical condition of the card.
Importance of NBA Graded Cards
So, why are NBA graded cards important? There are a few reasons. First, graded cards are a way to ensure authenticity. When you buy a graded card, you can be sure that it’s not a counterfeit or altered card. Second, graded cards can increase in value over time. A high-grade card is generally worth more than a lower-grade card. Finally, graded cards are a way to standardize the condition of a card. Without grading, two collectors may have two different opinions about the condition of the same card.
When it comes to buying and selling NBA graded cards, it’s important to do your research. Look for reputable grading services and sellers. Check the grade of the card and compare it to other similar cards. Keep in mind that the value of a card can fluctuate over time, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the market.
How to Get NBA Cards Graded
If you’re a collector of NBA cards, getting them graded can help increase their value and preserve their condition. Here’s how you can get your NBA cards graded.
Steps to Get NBA Cards Graded
- Choose a grading company: There are several grading companies out there, but the most reputable ones are PSA and Beckett. Do your research and choose the one that best fits your needs.
- Prepare your cards: Before sending your cards in for grading, make sure they’re in good condition. Clean them with a microfiber cloth and avoid touching the surface of the card with your fingers.
- Fill out the submission form: Each grading company has its own submission form that you’ll need to fill out. Make sure you include all the necessary information, such as the player, year, and card number.
- Package your cards: Use a sturdy cardboard box to package your cards, and make sure they’re well-protected with sleeves and toploaders. Include the submission form and any payment required.
- Send in your cards: Use a reputable shipping service to send in your cards for grading. Make sure you track your package and insure it for its full value.
- Wait for your cards to be graded: The grading process can take several weeks or even months, depending on the grading company and the number of cards you’ve submitted. Be patient and wait for your graded cards to be returned to you.
Cost of Getting NBA Cards Graded
Getting your NBA cards graded can be expensive, but it can also increase their value significantly. The cost of grading depends on the grading company, the number of cards you’re submitting, and the level of service you choose.
PSA charges $19 per card for a declared value of $499 or less, with a minimum of 20 cards per submission. Beckett charges $22 per card for their base service, with a turnaround time of 60+ business days.
If you’re considering getting your NBA cards graded, make sure you factor in the cost and the potential increase in value. It’s important to do your research and choose a reputable grading company to ensure the best results.
Benefits of NBA Graded Cards
If you’re an NBA fan and a collector of basketball cards, you might be wondering whether it’s worth getting your cards graded. NBA graded cards have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. In this section, we’ll discuss some of the benefits of getting your NBA cards graded.
One of the biggest benefits of getting your NBA cards graded is that it can significantly enhance their value. When you get a card graded, it’s assigned a grade based on its condition, with higher grades indicating better condition. This can make your card more attractive to potential buyers, as they can be confident that they’re getting a high-quality card. In fact, a card’s value can increase significantly if it receives a high grade.
Protection and Preservation
Another benefit of getting your NBA cards graded is that it can help protect and preserve them. When you get a card graded, it’s sealed in a protective case that helps prevent damage from moisture, dust, and other environmental factors. This can be especially important for older cards that may be more susceptible to damage. Additionally, the grading process can help identify any potential issues with your card, such as creases or other damage, so you can take steps to address them and prevent further damage.
Popular NBA Graded Cards
If you’re a fan of NBA and collectible cards, then you’re probably familiar with the concept of graded cards. Graded cards are cards that have been professionally evaluated and assigned a grade based on their condition. The higher the grade, the more valuable the card is. In this section, we will discuss some of the most popular NBA graded cards and why they are so sought after.
Top NBA Graded Cards
When it comes to the top NBA graded cards, there are a few names that come to mind. Here are some of the most popular NBA graded cards:
- Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer Rookie Card (PSA 10)
- LeBron James 2003 Upper Deck Exquisite Rookie Patch Autograph (PSA 10)
- Kobe Bryant 1996 Topps Chrome Refractor Rookie Card (PSA 10)
- Shaquille O’Neal 1992 Classic Four Sport Rookie Autograph (PSA 10)
- Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1980 Topps Scoring Leaders (PSA 10)
These cards are some of the most valuable and sought after NBA graded cards. They are not only rare but also have a high grade, making them a valuable addition to any collection.
Investing in NBA Graded Cards
Investing in NBA graded cards can be a great way to diversify your portfolio and potentially make a profit. However, it’s important to do your research and invest wisely. Here are some tips for investing in NBA graded cards:
- Research the market: Look at recent sales of similar cards to get an idea of the current market value.
- Look for high grades: Cards with a high grade are more valuable and will likely appreciate in value over time.
- Invest in popular players: Cards of popular players like Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant are more likely to hold their value and appreciate over time.
- Consider the condition: The condition of the card is crucial when it comes to value. Look for cards that are in excellent condition with no damage or wear.
My Personal Opinion
In my opinion, NBA graded cards are a valuable and fascinating aspect of sports memorabilia collecting. The grading process, conducted by reputable grading companies, provides an objective assessment of a card’s condition and authenticity, giving collectors confidence in the card’s value and quality.
Owning NBA graded cards adds an extra layer of excitement to collecting, as each card is assigned a specific grade based on its condition, which can range from gem mint to poor. Collectors can also enjoy the added security of knowing that the card’s authenticity has been verified by experts.
Are NBA cards worth money?
Basketball cards are often valued based on player performance, with the best examples being Steph Curry, Lebron James, and Michael Jordan’s cards, which all sold for millions. Autographed basketball cards are extremely expensive because collectors take pride in owning something with exclusive provenance.
How do you get NBA cards graded?
The PSA grading scale ranges from 1-10, based on factors like centering, corners, edges, and surface. To grade your cards using the PSA Online Submission Center, select a service level, ship your cards to the PSA facility, and receive the graded cards in the mail.
What is the best brand of NBA cards to collect?
Panini is the leading brand of NBA basketball cards. Some of the best packs to buy include Panini Prizm, Chronicles Draft, Select, and National Treasures. Michael Jordan’s 1985 Nike Promo is one of the most valuable basketball cards.
What is a PSA 10 card?
For a card to earn a 10, the edges of a card must be flawless to the naked eye and virtually perfect when looked at under magnification. Surface. The final criteria looked at by card graders is the surface of the card. A card’s surface is susceptible to loss of glossiness, wax stains, scratching, and printing defects.